Re:software question & Microphone etc...

I've used Soundforge XP which is a less intricate(and cheaper) version
to do all audio editing.I did the Atlanta show using Soundforge,cutting out
gaps and adding a little "high" end to bring out the vocals.It's about
$60.00.

I've never recorded a show with just a mic.But maybe you can become friendly
with the soundman and throw him a few bucks or "adult" beverages and get a
soundboard patch right into your mini-disc.