Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V4 #263

In a message dated 9/2/02 1:00:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Owner-Over-The-Rhine at actwin_com writes:

Linford said at the time he'd never read the Merton book, just liked the
title.  So I'd venture a guess that it has *nothing* to do with the book.
After reading a few reviews of the work from the internet, I'd say it even
more emphatically than just *nothing* to do with the book.

Well, thank you for that clarification...
I hadn't read that interview, yet, nor asked him about that song personally, either (since I've only gotten a straight answer on one song - Jacksie - anyway)...

Shannon wrote "I, honestly, hear a Biblical reference of two in every verse
of the song...".  I just reread the lyrics and now think you're entirely
certifiable.  Do you see Biblical references in the faces of zoo yaks and
college football plays??  ;)

Bruce

Ha.
Thanks, Bruce...
Zoo Yaks, and football plays -- not neccessarily, or exicitly...at least,
but I do think the imagery used in the song so tightly ties to the same imagery theologians have been using that it's just uncanny...even though, i confess, many of those theologians are NOT "evangelical coservatives", nor as popular as many others.