absolutely no otr....just baseball content.....adopt a baseball player

I know this is way, way tacky and breaking all kinds of rules, but Anita
sent this to me and it is her birthday, so I deserve to break rules.

So for all of you who don't know netiquette, this is something never to do
on a list-serve....post a forwarded message.  If anyone ever does this I
believe they should be taken off the list!  SO that being said, here is an
example of what not to do.

Subject: Adopt-a-player program

Since September 11, 2001, Americans have come together as
never before in
our generation. We have banded together to overcome
tremendous adversity. We
have weathered direct attacks on our own soil, wars
overseas, corporate
scandal, layoffs, unemployment, stock price plunges,
droughts, fires, and a
myriad of economic and physical disasters both great and
small. But now, we
must come together once again to overcome our greatest
challenge yet.

Hundreds of Major League Baseball players in our very own
nation are
living at, just below, or in most cases far above the
seven-figure salary
level. And as if that weren't bad enough they could be
deprived of their
life-giving pay for several months, possibly longer, as a
result of the
upcoming strike situation. But you can help!

For only $20,835 a month, about $694.50 a day (that's less
than the cost
of a large screen projection TV) you can help a MLB player
remain
economically viable during his time of need. This
contribution by no means
solves the problem as it barely covers the annual minimum
salary, but it's a

start, and every little bit will help!

Although $700 may not seem like a lot of money to you, to a
baseball player
it could mean the difference between spending the strike
golfing in Florida
or on a  Mediterranean cruise. For you, seven hundred
dollars is nothing
more
than a month's rent, half a mortgage payment, two
unemployment checks, or a
month of medical insurance with COBRA, but to a baseball
player, $700 will
partially replace his daily salary.

Your commitment of less than $700 a day will enable a
player to buy that
home entertainment center, trade in the year-old Lexus for
a new Ferrari, or
enjoy a weekend in Rio.

HOW WILL I KNOW I'M HELPING?
Each month, you will receive a complete financial report on
the player you
sponsor. Detailed information about his stocks, bonds,
401(k), real estate,
and other investment holdings will be mailed to your home.
Plus, upon
signing up for this program, you will receive an unsigned
photo of the
player lounging during the strike on a beach somewhere in
the Caribbean (for
a signed photo, please include an additional $150).
Put the photo on your refrigerator to remind you of other
peoples suffering.

HOW WILL HE KNOW I'M HELPING?
Your MLB player will be told that he has a SPECIAL FRIEND
who just wants
to help in a time of need. Although the player won't know
your name, he will
be able to make collect calls to your home via a special
operator in case
additional funds are needed for unforeseen expenses.

YES, I WANT TO HELP!
I would like to sponsor a striking MLB player. My
preference is checked
below:

[ ] Infielder
[ ] Outfielder
[ ] Starting Pitcher
[ ] Ace Pitcher
[ ] Entire team (Please call our 900 number to ask for the
cost of a
specific
team -                           $10 per minute)
[ ] Alex Rodriguez (Higher cost: $60,000 per day)

Please charge the account listed below $694.50 per
day for the player for the duration of the strike.

Please send me a picture of the player I have sponsored,
along with an
Alex Rodriguez 2001 Income Statement and my very own Donald
Fehr MLB Players
Union pin to wear proudly on my hat (include $80 for hat).

Your Name: _______________________
Telephone Number: ____________________
Account Number: _____________________ Exp.
Date:_______
[ ] MasterCard [ ] Visa [ ] American Express [ ] Discover

Signature: _______________________

Alternate card (when the primary card exceeds its credit
limit):

Account Number: _____________________Exp.
Date:_______
[ ] MasterCard [ ] Visa [ ] American Express [ ] Discover

Signature: _______________________

Mail completed form to MLB Players Union or call
1-900-****-THE-FANS now
to enroll by phone ($10 per minute).

Disclaimer: Sponsors are not permitted to contact the
player they have
sponsored, either in person or by other means including,
but not limited to,
telephone calls, letters, e-mail, or third parties.
Contributions are not
tax-deductible.