imagining the future

hi ryan and list.

i really liked what you said about lennon and
imagining the future.  hope is a big deal, and i agree
with you about having it.

but as i read, i couldn't tell for sure what you meant
by "the future."  in terms of ushering in the kingdom
of god, do you think christians will live on earth in
world peace before the second coming?

and if you do believe that, what is it in the bible
(particularly in revelation) that tells you that?
it's such a hard question to grapple with...how the
heck to understand that.  but i'm trying all the time.
 here's where i'm at for now...

as for the kingdom of god being in us, there is a sort
of barrier for the time being at least--sin.  see, the
kingdom is in us, drawing nigh to us and among us.  so
it's not just in one place.  someone once described it
to me as an imprint...like a patterned puzzle piece.
sure, it's coming nearer....and the imprint within the
new creation is pushing towards it as it's pushing
down.  but in between these beautiful pieces/imprints
of the very same kingdom of god, there is a barrier of
sin.

so i don't envision a world (pre-second coming) where
the nations work together in peace.  now if you're
talking about the peace in jeremiah..."peace, peace,
there is no peace," i'll pass :)

>After all, at this point it's the only way we are
>going to possibly survive.

this is where you and i might be different.  i'm tired
of trying to save myself and have us all "survive."  i
think of that too much the way jessyka was saying with
regard to motivations in our wars and problems.  i
think survival is the mentality that keeps us from
having hope.  or saving anything :)

>You know,
>the lion lying side by side the with the lamb and all
>that (which I think is
>a definate metaphor and not literal which is maybe
>why some people can't
>imagine it happening in the world that we know).

i think of that as the biblical union (bride and
christ...once he comes back) bringing out
reconciliation b/w the law and spirit, truth and
grace...the ot and the nt.

>keeping it inside when
>they could be letting it out and effecting change in
>there own communities
>and world HERE and NOW?

i agree with this...but not with the idea that its
culmination or realization will be manifest before the
second coming.  and hey, if all i was to do was find
jesus and have my spirit saved, wouldn't i have
departed already? :)  ahh, but that's an even longer
discussion...salvation.  earthly purposes too.

mmm, dinty moore.
-j. marie

=====
All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful. -Flannery O'Connor