Re: midtimers

Rick Callender wrote:

>wow. i tried looking at the archives not so long ago
>to see when my first post was... but i forgot already.
>i jumped the fence into the orchard during the double
>cure tour with vol. i do remember seeing ric before he
>left the band, though.

I first saw the band during the Double Cure tour as well.  My cousin and
a few of her friends organized/arranged for a show on that tour to be
played in a small second-floor "coffe shop" in Sterling, IL.  My family
came to the show for fun.  It was a two-hour drive, but something like
my second concert ever.  VoL were up first, but I didn't like them so
much.  It's probably why I haven't gone out of my way to see them or
Bill play at Cornerstone in the previous years.  I suspect the reason I
didn't care for them as much was the mix; it was a little hot for such a
small room.  At least to my young ears.

Anyhow, OtR was up next.  I only remember bits and pieces, but one song
I definitely remember was "The Seahorse."  It was my favorite at the
time, and perhaps still my favorite GDBD song.

I wanted my dad to fint me allowance money (I was only fifteen, after
all!  Not only that, but my family had just moved, costing me my job as
a paper-delivery boy.) but he wasn't willing to give me $15...so I made
use of the $5 or so I had to get one of the classic OtR bumper stickers.
 I still have the sticker.  I really wish that my parents had decided it
was the greatest music they ever heard and purchased the entire
back-catalog...but luck just didn't swing my way.  We left with a single
non-musical piece of memorabilia and memories to match, nothing more.
 (EDIT:  as I think about it more, I remember I also picked up a copy of
the newsletter.  it's still around somewhere, though it got separated
from the sticker at some point.  I'll find it some day.)

I suppose that really is what caused me to drop out of the Orchard, or
rather never fully enter it.  It's tough to "get into" a band when you
don't have a way to hear them.  I picked back up around Cornerstone
2000.  It was the first year I went for the full week, so it was the
first time I got to see OtR in over four years.  The only CD I picked up
that tiem around was _Besides_.  It appealed to my desire to have weird,
obscure things.  After all, what could be better than a CD originally
intended only for the Rhinelanders?  After that, I caught up with the
rest of the albums.  Unfortunately...a good number of them are the
copies without matching booklets.  I have no liner notes!  AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

As for the list, I hopped into this fair loony bin around December last
year.  So, as you can see, I have both old-time and new-timer
credentials.  It all averaged out to making me a mid-timer.  According
to my math, at least.

-Smitty the mid-timer who saw Ric once upon a time