Re: Thoughts on Jonah (was Re: Radio Satan)

>From: rhys daily <shadow at teuton_org>
>To: <Over-the-Rhine at actwin_com>
>Subject: Re: Thoughts on Jonah (was Re: Radio Satan)
>Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 13:07:25 -0600 (MDT)
>
>On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Peter T. Chattaway wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, rhys daily wrote:
> > > i would also note that abraham tried to get God to back off with sodom
> > > and gomorrah.
> >
> > Tried ... but did he succeed?
>
>um God did agree to not demolish the cities for the sake of  100 then 10
>then 1 righteous man.
>
>wasn't either of their fault that none could be found.
>
>so i would say,. yes abraham suceeded.

Hi!  I'm making my way through my inbox now, and I've just read this
exchange.  Having debated the EXACT same point with Peter a few months back,
I know what is coming up...

Rhys:
>i feel like this is quibbling.

Heh.  After some time, I really gave up on the discussion.  Not because I
thought I was wrong, but because all this talk of God's falibility and the
accompanying questioning of His Divine Right was making me VERY
uncomfortable.

I ask you all, if you change your mind, does that necessarily indicate that
your first thought was wrong?  It seems to me the answer, from personal
experience is clearly "no".  Could be, but not necessarily.  Given that,
this current thread seems nonsensical.  Yes, God is held to a different
standard, but parents, like Him, are smarter, stronger, and more mature than
their children, and yet they punish them for misdeeds all the time.  They
also change their mind regarding the appropriate severity of punishment all
the time.  Since they are dealing with their own children, who is to say
what the appropriate punishment is but them?  Likewise, who has the right to
question the Father of us all?
Please, no child abuse as genocide analogies.

Anyway, the point of these stories is that God is merciful, not that He is
prone to error.

To error is human,

Matt