Re: Meditation vs "Come on baby, come on baby do the conga..."

>From: OtRhine at aol_com
>To: over-the-rhine at actwin_com
>Subject: Meditation vs "Come on baby, come on baby do the conga..."
>Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 23:31:46 EDT
>
>Dear listees,
>
>  I thought I should break out of lurk mode and answer this question
>               posed by our beloved Ysoie... since I actually have an
>answer
>and all....
>
>"Karin-- does it bust your vibe, so to speak, when people whoop and
>  holler? Do you prefer a more sedate crowd? Or should we rope Dug back in
>  for another conga line? (Even though I've yet to recover from the last
>  one....)"
>
>  To which I would just say to anyone interested,
>  How about, you be you and I'll be me.  Just be real about it.
>  If that involves a conga line, so be it.  Meditation is cool, too.
>  But I would advise against combining the two - could be dangerously
>  entertaining for the rest of us.
>
>  thanks for asking,
>  karin - OtR

Beautiful answer.  I would personally prefer an audience response somewhere
between meditative (which I observed at Fitzgerald's) and a conga line
(which I'm having trouble even imagining).  I guess the hardest part about
being real at a concert venue full of strange people
is how to be oneself if everyone is pretty much acting in the exact same
manner without drawing undesired attention or looking like a wannabe
nonconformist.  Supposedly a truly authentic person wouldn't even care about
such questions.  Maybe so, but I do.

Reaching for reality,

Ryan Richards