Letter from Karin

Hello everyone,

  Before the laundry, before unpacking, before giving the dog her much needed
bath, before I plunge into the salty wave of the mundane that is the stuff of
life, I want to first pause and say thank you to all of you who came out to
support us on the west coast.  Many of you came bearing gifts - flowers,
photographs, sweets, and REAL Hawaiian coffee (thank you Michelle!- you also
win the prize for traveling the most miles!).  Thank you all for your
generosity.

  When we get out on the road, we say, "It's good to be out on the road
again."  And when we get home, we collapse into a heap and say, "It's good to
be home again."  Some things never change.

   It is important to be grateful in all things.

   So, this leaves me wishing I could show you some memories that play over
in my mind.  The beaches on Highway One - hairpin turns, ice plant, and the
one, not-so-obvious coyote that allowed itself to be seen standing above us
on a rock-strewn precipice. He was a good omen.  I guess we need one of those
fancy digital cameras.  Some day....

   We stopped a few times for this ocean view and that huge, huge Redwood
(one of many) that Jack just felt compelled to hug.  Really.  He bought a
Basic Guide to Trees along with a "special tool"  which called for various
stops to gather "samples" and "specimens."

Oh, and a heart-shaped stone - a souvenir for Hazel.

   Along the way, we discovered that there were many towns in California we
have yet to play.  Eureka, San Jose (where I was born), Santa Barbara,
Sonoma....  I hope we can get to some of these towns some day.  It is a
mighty big state, after all.

   It seems we will always need to plan some extra time for San Francisco.
We have so many excuses to stay - all of them friends and family. This trip,
I was able to spend some precious one-on-one time with my sister Rose, and
also my dear friend Carol-Margaret -  by whom I am blessed with so much
inspiration.  Linford took the BART to spend the afternoon with his sister
Frances, her husband Chris and the new-ish nephew, Luke.  We celebrated with
dinner that night at the Grand Cafe, Hotel Monaco, courtesy of our
brother-in-law, Pat.  Hats off to Pat. And yet there were many family members
we didn't get to see due to time constraints.  But that's the nature of
touring.  And it's our job.

   It takes any number of small miracles to put together/pull off a tour of
any length.  Special thanks to Ali Giampino (Billions) who is the queen of
booking agents and to our manager Blair Woods for flying across the gol-darn
country to drive our rental from LA to Seattle to meet us - the rental
company wouldn't do one-way.  Much thanks to both of them.

   We have done most of the spring shows without a crew.  Thanks to the local
dudes at each of the venues and volunteers who helped us in any way. And
thanks to those of you who volunteered to look after our merch.

   I am looking forward to this late Spring at home.  I need to dig in the
dirt and pull some weeds, shore up my rose vines and tend to the jungle that
is our back yard.  And my favorite part of what we do, writing and recording,
will be the focus for much of the coming season.  We'll see you all again
soon.

   Until then,
            Karin,    for Over the Rhine...