pictures

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Daniel wrote:

>    One way around using flash is to specifically set yourself up close to
> the stage where the lighting will take the place of your flash.
> Unfortunately lighting is usually still rather poor around the stage.
> Onother tip is to use Black and White film.  B & W makes best use of the
> darkness, and will give you better results since it only works in shades of
> grey and white.
>
>    Anybody else have any tips on taking pictures?

The B&W is a great idea.  The main thing you would need is high speed
film.  For lower light conditions, you would want at least 800 speed film,
which you can get at a Wal Mart sort of place.  I'd rather have 1000,
which you would need to go to a photo kind of store for.

If you have a camera that is not completely automatic, you would want
to use very wide apertures.  I have a camera that will do this automatically
or manually.  If you set it on manual, the camera has little red numbers
that show you what setting the camera would pick.  If I'm try to take
indoor no-flash pictures, I set the aperture maybe one or two settings
lower (wider) than the camera suggests, and if I guess wrong, the camera
compensates by making the shutter go faster.  So like F2 and F 2.8 will
take advantage of all the light you can get.

If you have a completely automatic camera, make sure it can handle 1000
speed before you stick it in there.  Less expensive cameras sometimes
won't handle really high speed film.  Kodak Max might be your best bet
there.  I think film goes all the way up to 1600 speed.  A completely
automatic camera sort of ballparks the light situation and picks an
aperture and shutter speed, so you don't have much control.  When you're
standing in front of Niagara Falls and 97% of the time, that's fine.  When
you're in a dark bar/music house, that might result in lousy pictures if
you have low speed film.

I'm lucky in that I also have a wide angle lens, and I think that would
come in handy if you're close to the stage.  (No, I didn't pay for this
camera on my weak-ass grad student stipend.  The camera was my
grandfather's).  So if you have a wide-angle lens, that's better in the
front row.  Unless you want gorgeous close-ups of Karin...

So, Kodak Max if you have a regular camera, and as high speed B&W as you
can find if you have a camera that will accommodate it.

I agree with the folks who are anti-flash.  Flash would be phenomenally
rude, especially in the smallish places OtR tends to play, where the fans
are right up in their grill.

BenT