Re: hmm...

"Peter T. Chattaway" wrote:

> *** Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone spoiler? ***
>
> On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Bethany Keeley wrote:
> > I don't know what you're talking about.  The movie was fantastic, and so
> > true to the book.
>
> If anything, it was *too* true to the book -- to the plot, that is.  They
> shoehorned as many important plot points into the film as possible, and
> all at the expense of character development.  We never really get a sense
> of just how much Snape hates Harry, for example -- he just seems like a
> generically mean teacher.  (And one of my favorite lines from the book --
> when Harry says "You mean Snape *doesn't* hate me?" and Voldemort's stooge
> replies "Oh, he hates you all right, but he feels duty-bound to protect
> you" -- is nowhere to be found in the film.  I always thought that was a
> great line -- it hinted at complexities in Snape's character that later
> books have teased out a bit more -- but the film just skips it.)

okay, I see your point.  Perhaps I loved the movie because I loved the books
so I mentally included the parts that weren't there.  They also missed my
favorite line, when Hermione keeps raising her hand and Snape keeps asking
Harry questions and finally Harry says "I don't know, but why don't you ask
Hermione, I think she does."

> > Emma Watson was fabulous as Hermione, the effects and the music were
> > enchanting.
>
> The effects and music were *awful*!  The centaur, especially, was one of
> the most poorly-done CGI characters in recent memory, and the music
> intruded on the film more than it supported it -- if you want to hear a
> movie-soundtrack collector rant, just mention this score!  (That, or
> mention just about anything by James Horner. :) )

ok, fine, but nearly headless nick was so cool!  and moving staircases and
fluffy was great.  Plus, I'm a stickler for anything british.  Maybe I just
watched it wanting to love it.  Also, Oliver Wood was really cute.

> All that said, I'll probably still get the DVD.  :)
>
> And of course, I breathlessly await the next book in the series -- not to
> mention the opportunity to see Kenneth Branagh play Gilderoy Lockhart.

me too :)

Bethany

np: still mp3s

--
~*~*~*~
"and the stories in my pockets are the best I've ever lived" -Sarah Masen