Re: Makin' Bacon(YES!)

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Bethany Keeley wrote:
> Kylie Wilkerson wrote:

> > I met and talked with Vince Gill at a concert.
> > Vince Gill had a shot in the movie Maverick...which casted Jodie
> > Foster.
> > Jodie Foster was in the movie Sommersby with Bill Pullman.
> > Bill Pullman was in the movie Sleepless in Seattle with Meg Ryan.
> > Meg Ryan was in the movie You've Got Mail with Tom Hanks.
> > Tom Hanks played in the movie Apollo 13 with KEVIN BACON!!
>
> honey... you could cut out a step.  Tom hanks was in Sleepless in Seatle
> with Bill Pullman.  Meg Ryan is unneccisary.

Or you could point out that Vince Gill was in _8 Seconds_ with Luke Perry.
And Luke Perry was with Donald Sutherland in _Buffy the Vampire Slayer_.
And Donald Sutherland was with Kevin Bacon in _JFK_ and _Animal House_.

That saves *two* steps!

As for me, I've interviewed some actors and directors and musicians, so it
probably wouldn't be too hard to connect me with Kevin Bacon, but I've
never given it much thought.  I've interviewed Mike Leigh, Will Ferrell,
Eugene Levy, Barry Pepper and others over the phone, and I've interviewed
Atom Egoyan, Kenneth Branagh, Helena Bonham Carter, Om Puri and others in
person.  Hmmmm.  Actually, the most obvious connection I can think of
right now is that I once interviewed Christian Campbell in person, when
the indie film _Trick_ came out, and he's also appeared in the movie
_Hairshirt_ with his much more famous sister Neve, and she co-starred in
_Wild Things_ with Kevin Bacon.  So that's three degrees of separation.

Similarly, I stood just a few inches away from Arnold Schwarzenegger at a
press conference in Vancouver (can't say I *met* him, though), and he
starred in _Total Recall_ for Paul Verhoeven, and he directed Kevin Bacon
in _Hollow Man_ ... but that counts only if we count directors.

Ah, but now, as I check the IMDB, I am reminded that I am actually only
two degrees of separation away from Kevin Bacon.  I interviewed Helena
Bonham Carter in 1995, and she co-starred with Kevin Bacon in last year's
film _Novocaine_ (the one that stars Steve Martin as a dentist).

I may even be only *one* degree of separation away from him, depending on
how we define this.  To my way of thinking, you can only be *zero* degrees
of separation from a person if you *are* that person, but perhaps being
together with someone in the same movie means that you are not separated
from them at all, in which case Helena, by co-starring with Bacon in
_Novocaine_, would be zero degrees of separation from him.