Poughkeepsie revisited

Title: Poughkeepsie revisited

A couple of weeks ago was a discussion of Poughkeepsie and what it meant and what were Karin's motives for writing the song.  I knew I had an interview somewhere in some magazine in some dark file drawer.

So here is the part of the interview just dealing with "Poughkeepsie".

The most literal song I've ever written is "Poughkeepsie" which is on GOOD DOG BAD DOG: The Home Recordings.  Writing a song is often an expression of where I am and where I've been.  "Poughkeepsie" came out of a real state of depression a few years ago.  We had been traveling through upstate New York in the late fall.  The trees were on fire with color everywhere.  We crossed the Hudson River on a massive bridge, and on the bridge was a sign with a suicide hot-line number.

This image went deep into me and as Christmas approached it recalled some scenes from a favorite movie of mine, It's a Wonderful Life.  I think the song speaks to anyone who has seriously contemplated giving up, escaping, getting out...writing the song was part of a process for me personally that gave me clearer perspective on my own struggle.

I got a letter from a teenage girl whose teacher had played "Poughkeepsie" for her high-school class.  (The class had been discussing suicide.)  It was a beautiful letter talking about what all teenagers struggle with: confusion about their young bodies, their young minds, finding their place, accepting themselves.  This particular girl had asked for a copy of "Poughkeepsie" to take home, and the song helped her to reconsider what she had been contemplating.  It kindled some new hope.  The letter was a wonderful reward.

There is more to the interview, but that is pretty much all that pertains to "Poughkeepsie".

Michael

Frictum Aptenodytes! (Barbeque the Penguins!)  well, actually roast the penguins, but Bar-B-Q is more fun