Re: hymns: was Re: The Ob Sessions

While in Jerusalem last May, I stopped into the American Colony Hotel, which is a beautiful old hotel with tons and tons of character.  I wish I'd been staying there instead of the Novotel around the corner, but anyway...  In a room just off their lobby, they have Spafford's original, handwritten copy of "It Is Well With My Soul" as well as a number of newspaper clippings about the event.  More info can be found at:  <http://theamericancolony.com/html/history.html>

Glad to be posting again after being buried at the office for the last couple weeks...

Steve
oncleboo at aol_com

np:  Hank Dogs - Bareback

"...there are two races of men in this world, but only these two - the 'race' of the decent man and the 'race' of the indecent man." – Viktor Frankl

Kevin writes:

Kylie mentioned:
<< It is well with my soul >>

have you ever heard the background story to this hymn?  The man who wrote "it
is well with my soul" lost his son, then lost almost everything in the great
Chicago fire, and then lost his four daughters in a shipwreck.  The story
goes that while crossing the ocean to be with his wife after the shipwreck he
passed very close to where his daughters had died and that's when he started
writing it.

a couple places I found the story:

http://www.lauraslyrics.com/it_is_well_with_my_soul__horatio.htm
http://www.geocities.com/cott1388/spafford.html
(one says the info is spotty on when he actually started writing it.  Who
knows what to believe with Internet articles.)