Re: Obsessions

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Bruce Lachey wrote:
> + A View to a Kill - Duran 2 (Really, I didn't just want to alienate you
> all by picking two Duran songs in a row; I geniunely believe this to be
> a perfect example of pop music.  It has it all.  Mystery, intrigue,
> power.  17 years later and it still sounds fresh.  ABC TV network had
> some James Bond special the other week where they surveyed thousands to
> determine their favorite James Bond theme, Duran won.  I didn't even
> vote once!)

Heh.  I don't know if I've ever heard any other Duran Duran songs, but
being a movie soundtrack fan (and a Bond fan), I do know *this* song, of
course.  And yeah, it's definitely one of the better Bond themes.

It's also one of the last Bond themes to be sung by a guy.  After this,
a-ha did 'The Living Daylights', but since then, it's been nothing but
gals -- The Pretenders did the love theme for 'The Living Daylights',
Gladys Knight and Patti LaBelle did 'License to Kill', Tina Turner did
'Goldeneye', Sheryl Crow and k.d. lang did 'Tomorrow Never Dies', and
Garbage did 'The World Is Not Enough'.  (Admittedly, there *is* some lame
song by some guy at the end of the TWINE soundtrack, but I don't have a
clue who the guy is, and the song is pretty forgettable, so who cares.)

> + Fragile - Sting.

Yes, absolutely beautiful.  I was singing this to myself a lot after
September 11 -- that and Edie Brickell's 'Circle of Friends' (with the
line "Everything is temporary anyway...").

> + Jupiter - Gustav Holst - DJ "Johnny" Williams jam.  Keyboards were
> used to augment the Boston Pops version of this kick ass track.  I
> couldn't give a rat, it sounds awesome.  Probably an audacious example
> of what's wrong with classical music, it's very Star-Wars-y over the
> top, but it definitely is a bringer of jollity.  Jollity??

Sounds interesting -- got an mp3?  I rather like that jazzy version of
'Also Sprach Zarathustra' that some band did for the soundtrack to _Being
There_; I confess I also count 'A Fifth of Beethoven' and 'Night on Disco
Mountain', from _Saturday Night Fever_, among my guilty pleasures.  :)

BTW, one album I've become quite obsessed with lately is Yann Tiersen's
wonderful soundtrack to _Amelie_.  For a sampling (I put excerpts from it
on the web so I can listen to them whenever I go to web cafes, etc.):

http://peter.chattaway.com/music/amelie/amelie.m3u