Obsessions.

On 3/11/02 11:45 PM, quoth the effervescent soberman_69 at hotmail_com at
soberman_69 at hotmail_com:

>You've just reminded me that I bought a CD by a band calling itself
>"Suddenly Tammy!"  at a local dollar store a few weeks ago.  I never played
>it, and don't know where it is.  Oh well.

Weird. I dated a guy who used ot hang out with the singer from that band.
Then again, I can go almost anywhere in the world and SOMEONE will know
this guy. Anyone here know a short, very pale ex-stuntman turned computer
expert often called Spud?

I get obsessed over songs every now and again. The first one I really
remember was "The Chain," by Fleetwood Mac. I'd just had my heart
severely dented for the first time, and boy, was I wallowing. Shortly
thereafter, I was introduced to someone who lived near me on campus.
"Oh," he said, "You're the girl who plays Fleetwood Mac all the time,
aren't you?" Oh, great. I think Billy Joel's "Code of Silence" was in
there somewhere, too. "Shape of My Heart," from Sting, was after that, I
think. I listened to it obsessively for weeks, convinced there was
something in it I was supposed to learn. I think the only thing I did
learn was to keep that sort of thing to myself.

There was also Indigo Girls' "Ghost," for my first serious heartbreak.
Also from that period was U2's "One." And something from P.M. Dawn, cos
he was a DJ and had done a remix of whatever their single was that year
for a local radio station. Ah, my Sweet William. What an absolute
bastard. He married the bitch, though, so in a way, I think that's my
revenge. Ahem.

The worst one was "You're Gone," from Diamond Rio. I still can't listen
to it without sobbing-- cos I'm dramatic that way-- but it certainly is
cathartic. At least, that's what I tell myself when I justify not telling
my therapist I listened to it again. Seriously, if you've never heard
this song, go download it. You'll understand. Then call me and I'll give
you my therapist's number.

Um...other obsessives. "Everything In Its Own Time," another Indigo Girls
track. "Mad About You" and "I Burn For You," also from Sting. And his
"Desert Rose." Rob D's "Clubed to Death" from The Matrix soundtrack.
There are a lot of VNV tracks that I can't get out of my head, but I
don't know that I'm borderline O/C about them. I mean, I probably am, and
I'm sure Zoloft could help me with that, but there are just too many to
list. (Saviour, Standing, Beloved, Holding On, Solitary-- no, I'll stop.)

Del Amitri's "Driving With The Brakes On."

"Hatikva," the national anthem of Israel, cos...well. Yeah.

Melissa Etheridge's "Like The Way I Do," which taught me I don't have to
sing with a little girl's voice-- and man, if you identify with that
song, you're not a little girl anyway. I used to belt it out at the top
of my lungs on the drive home from a certain guy's house. How screwed up
is that?

Andy M. Stewart and Manus Lunny doing "Tae The Weaver's Gin Ye Go" on
endless repeat got me through many grueling hours of staring at naked
men.

"In Your Room" from Depeche Mode. Utterly obsessed. When I used to close
the store at night, alone, I'd play it over and over. I got to where I
could do all the paperwork inside of three repeats. Go me.

There's an incredible stack of Duran, of course. The album "Rio," first.
And some singles, of course, most notably "Come Undone," which, when it
was new, I taped from a radio interview and replayed (of course)
obsessively on a tape at work. "Save A Prayer (Til The Morning After)" is
my all-time fave, especially the version off an import bootleg CD called
"Genesis," where Warren goes off on this gorgeous musical tangent at the
end that makes me CRY. But not in a way for which I need call
you-know-who.

Most recently, I think, "I Love You Goodbye" by Thomas Dolby. "Southbound
Train," by Nanci Griffith, "Haunted," by Poe. And tonight, I've been on a
quest to find the music to the Nike commercial from the Winter Games. I
finally did-- and the ad itself, too, which is so gorgeously edited that
even after having had to sit through it 8,342 times over the course of
the Games, still gets me teary-eyed.
(http://www.endlessnoise.com/main.htm and go to "Reels." It's the first
clip. It's called "Move.") And when I finally found the mpeg for the clip
from Buffy of Michele Branch singing "Goodbye To You," I watched/listened
to it for hours. (It's from the end of Tabula Rasa, that montage when
Tara's packing to leave Willow, Giles is flying back to England, and
Buffy's finding comfort in a pretty shocking place.) Ironically, I was
also as obsessed over a much earlier, happier song of the same name from
Scandal, circa 1983.

And we aaaaaall know the story of me and "Rhapsodie," so I'm not gonna go
into that again.