John Mayer concert

yeah, you're all probably sick of hearing from me by now, but I have to
leave soon and then I'll be gone for several hours so I'll shut up then.

so, on Tuesday I saw John Mayer in concert.  It was good.  It was sold
out, although there were tickets available almost until the bitter end.
Some people were getting in line already at 4:30 right after the
conversation with him.  I know this because I had my break from
orchestra rehersal then.  I didn't get in line until later, so I didn't
have such great seats.  I have a friend who did though.  And I had to
walk through backstage to get and put away my violin and walked past the
many guitar cases etc. they had.  It was kidna cool.
I learned that Monk is opening for Phil Keaggy later this month.  I'm
going.  It will be cool.  Also, Linford and Karin, I've been told, are
opening for Patti Griffin later this spring.  I should get a ticket.  I
don't know much about Patti, but if Linford and Karin are going to be
there, then I want to be too.
the opening band was Naked Blue.  They were pretty good.
So anyway, I don't know a ton about John Mayer, but I was impressed by
two things almost immediately.  First, he is a very good looking guy.
Many other screaming girls seemed to share my opinion.  I felt like
taking them aside and saying "settle down, you're not twelve and it's
not N'sync."  But whatever.  Second, he is a very impressive guitar
player.  I didn't realize that he played pretty much all the cool riffs
on the cd his very own self.  My friend Nate (he told me if I used his
insights I should link to his band's webpage -- http://worn.fsn.net )
told me that he had this really cool guitar that had the frets on a
slant.  I couldn't see from where I was sitting, but he was in the
second row of actual seats, so he could.  He was in general impressed by
John's guitar playing and he knows more about that sort of thing than I
do.
So anyway, he played a lot of songs.  He was very good and so was his
band.  He talked a lot toward the end of the set, but not so much toward
the beginning.  He explained himself in the middle.  he said he had just
slept, although he hadn't been planning on it.  I know the feeling.  I'm
not talkative right when I wake up either.  But he got that way, and
some girl was screaming for some Dave Mathews song and he made some
comment about how it was like getting mail for the wrong person, it's
like "oh, that's for Dave Matthews, that's not for me" and he said next
time she saw Dave Matthews she should scream for "St. Patrick's Day".
He played most of the songs from _Room for Squares_.  Of note were "No
Such Thing", "My Stupid Mouth" and "Your Body is a Wonderland".  I was
so dissapointed he didn't play "83", and then he played it in the
encore, and it was great.  I was born in 83.  Then he ended with a song
that's not on the album, called "something's missing".  It was really
good.
The best stage antic though was when he took a camera from a girl in the
front row and went around taking pictures of the band and of himself and
then gave it back go her.
He was a lot of fun live.  Definately worthwhile.  His stage antics were
amusing, and he had the most presence of anyone I've seen in a long
time.  He was amusing.
That was really long, so for those of you who stuck with me to the end,
you're cool.

Bethany

np:  John Mayer, what else?

Kelvin Bailey wrote:

> --- Bethany Keeley <blk4 at calvin_edu> wrote:
> >
> > np:  John Mayer still.  Anyone want to hear about
> > the concert Tuesday?
>
> Yes!  I was gonna ask.
> (I replied to this once, but Yahoo is crap and I don't
> think it got sent.)
>
> Kelvin
>
> =====
> What if the hokey-pokey really IS what it's all about?!?

~*~*~*~
"and the stories in my pockets are the best I've ever lived" -Sarah
Masen