Re: Audience Research

on 2/24/02 8:29 AM, Greg Smith at janweatherman at hotmail_com wrote:

> This is mostly O.T. and wholly self serving, so I offer my apologies at the
> start.
>
> That said, I'm trying to conduct some research. I have a little internet
> radio show, which I hope one or two of you may have heard. The show is all
> about songs with great hooks, strong melodies, etc. The musical scope is
> fairly wide, mostly focusing on rock and pop, but rap, jazz, and lots of
> other stuff occasionally represent.
>
> So any way- audience poll. What are your top 3 pop songs? Very likely these
> will become part of the show. Fame and glory are certain to follow.
> If you think this is topic-worthy, by all means do so! If not, let me know
> off-list.

Wow... don't get my mail for a few days and look what happens...

With a rather broad view of the word "pop" (it's all about melody, imo), my
favourite pop songs are...
Van Morrison - "Brown-Eyed Girl"
U2 - "Bad" and "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses"
The Pixies - "Alec Eiffel" and "Letter to Memphis"
The Beatles - "And Your Bird Can Sing", "Across the Universe", and "She Said
She Said"
REM - "Nightswimming" and "Find the River"
Bjork - "Pagan Poetry"
Idlewild - "Roseability"
The Strokes - "Hard to Explain"

The list goes on. I'll stop.

Hey Jarrod, you remember our endless pop song duel a couple of years ago?

Layner