Re: circumspect

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Kelvin Bailey wrote:
> --- "Peter T. Chattaway" <petert at interchange_ubc.ca> wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Paul Soupiset wrote:

> > > "I just stole a bag of M&Ms from WalMart, but that's okay because I
> > > liked them so much I'll keep buying M&Ms from here on out."
> >
> > Irrelevant to the present discussion.
> >
> > M&Ms are rival goods.  Recordings are not.
> >
> > To flip this around, CDs are rival goods.  The recipe for M&Ms is not.
>
> Well...Peter...if that rationale helps you sleep better at night...

It's not a question of sleep, or even of rationales.  The fact is, there
is an objective difference between taking tangible objects away from
people and making exact copies of objects, intangible or otherwise.  To
confuse the two is to make the discussion less clear, not more clear.

I have a feeling I may want to say more about this subject at some point
in the near future -- it happened to come up on the Daniel Amos list right
around the time it came up here, by some odd coincidence -- but I'm too
swamped with work at the moment.  In a few days, maybe, who knows ...