Thoughts on media and copying media.

The comapnies that put out media into common distribution channels
obviously have made sure that 'their rights are protected'.  The have done
this by making sure that laws have been legislated in regard to
intellectual property.  Frankly, there was no time when making copies of
records and CDs was legal.  In a pure police state, every one of us,
guilty of some form of piracy or taking from the pockets of such
a distribution channel, would be locked up for such a thing.  No matter
how you sugar-coat it, you are a common criminal.  And if you are not keen
on that comparison, well, that's simply too bad.  This is the way our law
system has been built in the past few years.

This is the same thing - exactly the same thing - as going one mile over
the speed limit.  Go over that speed limit, you're a criminal as
well.  Maybe you're a little criminal, but you have committed a crime
nonetheless.

What I'm getting at is this:  you all have decisions that you make in
regard to how you regard the law.  Some of us smoke illegal substances or
rip and burn CDs for one another or decide that the number under the speed
limit simply is not there.  You decide that your own code of ethics and
morality (or lack thereof) is greater than the law of the land.  Fine.  Do
it.  It's your life.  If you feel something's wrong with the law, either
push in the political structure for it to be changed or do it and accept
the consequences if you get caught.

To me, the laws as they stand on intellectual property are absurd.  The
pricing structure created by the labels and the means of distribution of
media?  Similarly foolish.  So, I have an idea of how things should be
done and try to deal with media in that particular way.  But I know that
some of the things that I do are not proper in the eye of the law.

To summarize:  Don't kid yourself.  If you have even an inkling that
something you do is not legal in regard to downloads and making 'backup
copies', you are almost certainly correct.  The law does not like
you.  The law, as it stands now, is _firmly_ in the corner of the
businesses selling us media.

-Drew J
(who recently made a CD for the band of Invader Zim eps and the Buffy
musical to watch on a laptop for long van rides.)

O ^ ^     Drew Johnson - djohnson at snowplow_org - Ld Robert Bartholomew, SCA )
O(_|_) Tengo gusto de comer creyones. -Elian Gonzales, 4/27/00, Goats: the  X
O Check out splat.melm.org (monkey at melm_org) -----------------  comic strip |