Re: Nothing to do with Nine Inch Nails, really.

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Christian D Lindemer wrote:
> God is not His name, at least not in my opinion - it's s title.

And if you call him "Elohim", you are actually calling him "Gods", plural.
Hence, the Ten Commandments in Exodus 20 begin:

   [1] and _elohim_ spoke all these words:

   [2] "i am _yhwh_ your _elohim_, who brought you out of egypt, out of
   the land of slavery.

   [3] you shall have no other _elohim_ before me...."

In English Bibles, "Elohim" is typically translated "God" in verses 1 and
2 but "gods" in verse 3.  Ancient people sometimes referred to individual
deities of theirs in the plural as a form of respect, to magnify their
greatness.  Just another fun bit of trivia for y'all.  :)