For TC readers: Blaine Howard and Elliptic

There's a fellow in the Twin Cities who has a very nice little folky ep
called 'One Step Back' named Blaine Howard.  I first his band, Trace, at
an VoL concert a couple of years back when they were opening.  They were a
good band that was able to deal with the very annoying proprietor of the
lousy venue with gusto and style.  At the time, they needed a little more
sound to round themselves out, and I hear they've done that, but that's
getting off the topic.

Blaine put out a solo ep that's very solid musically.  The first two
tracks have gotten multiple listenings on my player - lots of complex,
interesting lyrics to get lost in or just to read a good book by.  It has
been produced well, and I recommend it if you're into good, lightly-amped
folk music.

http://www.tracemusic.com

Then there's Elliptic.  I need to listen to their album a few more times
before I can come out with a decent comparison - just like our friends
from Cincinatti, they're all over the board musically.  The singer reminds
me a bit of Violet Burning's lead singer, lead guitar (also the singer)
has a way with hooks, they understand bass guitar to be supplemental to
the voice (and not to drown it out), and the drummer is simply terribly
good.  They somehow poked their heads into one of those Battle of the
Bands things run by a local radio station and have made quarter-finals
(which are happening in March).
	They've one album out - Shoot the Moon.  I'm going to see if I can
get an mp3 from them to put up, as I really think they're worth a listen
or three.

-Drew J

O ^ ^     Drew Johnson - djohnson at snowplow_org - Ld Robert Bartholomew, SCA )
O(_|_) Tengo gusto de comer creyones. -Elian Gonzales, 4/27/00, Goats: the  X
O Check out splat.melm.org (monkey at melm_org) -----------------  comic strip |