Re: pick and choose

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, rhys daily wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Peter T. Chattaway wrote:

> > > What's that line from Judges?  "Every man did that which was right
> > > in his own eyes."  That doesn't work.
> >
> > And then Israel got a king, and *then* look what happened.  :)
>
> that was the point, though - it proved we needed true redemption.

Actually, no, that was not the point of Judges.  The full quote from
Judges 17:6 and 21:25 is, "In those days, Israel had no king. Everyone did
as he saw fit."  In fact, "In those days, Israel had no king" is repeated
in Judges 18:1 and 19:1 *without* the phrase "Everyone did as he saw fit."
The key idea for the author of Judges, then, is that Israel had no king,
and the chaos of those times made the rise of the monarchy necessary.

But as we know from the following books, the monarchy had problems, too.

> and God was alos doing it to prove to the israelites that HE was their
> king. not some petty man.

Which is not to say that the Hebrew idea of God didn't make him look petty
at times, too (executing people for gathering sticks on Saturdays, etc.).