Books and Chicago

j. marie shared:

> in general (movies too), but we haven't dished all
> that much about books this last bit (unless it
> happened while i was skipping my daily digest--for
> shame).  so yay!

The problem I have with (most) book conversations is
that I'm usually so far behind the curve of public
discourse.  I rarely read "new" or "current" books.

With the exception of this Hornby novel I've just read
my books recently haven't exactly been cutting edge.
Norman MacLean's _A River Runs Through It_ (loved it),
Hemingway's _The Sun Also Rises (I'm willing myself to
finish it), _On the Road_ (a third of the way through
and I just don't seem to care about the story), a new
translation of Beowulf (fascinating and enjoyable).

I guess that's my version of Dan's "np: xxx"
commentary.

julie added:

> it up. (no pun intended)  But the book spoke to me
> on a lot of different levels, about how we define
> ourselves and what restlessness means.

A lot of my past year has been responding to people in
my life who have wrestled painfully with this brooding
restlessness and dissatisfaction.  I guess I don't
have a problem with people wanting to be as happy |
fulfilled | satisfied as possible--but that has to
happen within the context of their other commitments.

I've seen too many people sacrifice everything
(friends, family, relationships, covenant) on the
alter of "I just want to do what makes me feel happy."

> I loved 'How to be Good' as well.  In fact, I met
> him in Chicago this summer and heard him read from

Speaking of Chicago:  anybody been to the
VanGogh/Gauguin exhibit at the Art Institute?  I'm
hoping to get up there after the first of the year
(and before it leaves for Holland mid-January).

That's a small window of opportunity.

Brian

=====
"What kind of man would live where there is no daring? I don't believe in taking foolish chances, but nothing can be accomplished without taking any chance at all."
~Charles A. Lindbergh, at a news conference after his trans-Atlantic flight