Re: my boy problems (almost no otr)

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Mark Utley wrote:
> Peter T. Chattaway wrote:

> > I thought you wanted to trace your history directly back to the time
> > of Christ, not the time of Peter.  ;)
>
> Which is different in what way..???

Well, as Don just pointed out, Rome didn't become *that* important to
Christianity until later.  Supposedly Peter died in A.D. 64.  At that time
Jerusalem, not Rome, was still the centre of the Christian church -- that
was where Jesus' family, beginning with his brother James and continuing
with his cousin Simeon, ran the show -- and Jerusalem was definitely part
of what we would now call Eastern Orthodoxy's domain.  Of course,
Jerusalem was destroyed in a war with the Romans just a few years later,
so the seat of ecclesiastical power gravitated elsewhere -- but it was
still pretty solidly in the east, as indicated by the fact that *all* of
the ecumenical councils prior to the schism of 1054 took place there.

http://www.bib-arch.org/br400/family-a.html
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04423f.htm