Re: my boy problems (almost no otr)

> So why even have scripture?  You can't just do away
> with an argument from scripture by saying "well, you
> can justify any point of view from scripture", because
> you can't justify all view points from scripture.

Which, if I may be so bold, has a lot to do with the Catholic position against the idea of "sola scriptura" or "scripture alone" as a viable method of interpretation.  Catholics hold that one uses scripture along with two centuries of Tradition and the authority of the Church to determine meaning.  If one is
looking for one major reason for the exponential growth and proliferation of Protestant and "non-denominational" Christian churches over the last few centuries, one need look no further than the question of authority on matters of scriptural interpretation.  If the Bible alone is the be-all and end-all of divine
revelation, and if it falls to the individual believer to interpret solely on his or her own, then why not simply form one's own church when one disagrees with the interpretation of someone else?  Certainly one can point to many abuses and human weakness in the history of the Catholic Church (most of which have
been resolved or reformed, some of which I think are historical inaccuracies accepted as fact), but my point is, if one is looking for a "hermeneutical screen" through which to interpret scripture, what better one than the one that can trace its history directly back to the time of Christ?

Pax et Bonum,
Mark