Re: Live (no OtR)

Greetings,

>From: "Bruce Lachey" <b_lachey at hotmail_com>
>>(Matt Messina indicated he's "loathe to pick on anyone's favorite
>>band" then wrote a whiny tirade as to why Christians should boycott
>>Pennsylvania-based popsters Live)

Bruce, I AM loathe to pick on anyone's favorite band, but I'm not the type
to just sit by and not say something that I feel needs to be said.  Sorry if
you can't respect that.

Also, if being put-off by spending $16 to be told I'm part of a  "crowd that
has a name" and is being "burned" is whiny, so be it.

I mentioned no boycotting, but, if I had, I wouldn't limit it to christians.

>if humankind would try to see things they have similar or in common with
>oneanother rather than focus on their differences, we wouldn't be in the
>crazy state it is today.

True.  Which brings up my problem with Live.  The singer seems to be rather
vocal about expressing his fundamental disagreements with christians, rather
than acknowedging that we are all children of God.  Why do you afford him
this luxury but balk when you perceive it in me?  Do you realize that what
you wrote above was exactly what I was citing Live for?
I feel I'm aware enough to continue to
>support their
>art on my personal evaluations.

That's great.  More power to you.   I was just making sure.  And sharing MY
personal evaulations.  Sorry they struck a nerve with you, despite the fact
that you responded to them with "big stinkin' deal".  (Funny thing about
that- in all fairness you could probably write that to just about anyone on
this list at one time or another.)

>ooh, one more thing:  Matt, you wrote: "I can't support any band who
>promotes their personal religious ideology at the expense of others.
>Period."  What do you think of this lyric:
>
>"I don't wanna tell you lies, like Presbyterians or spies"
>
>Just curious.

Bruce, I sincerely appreciate this part of your message wherein you try to
engage me in a real dialogue.  Thank you, as I was actually hoping somebody
would be clever enough to bring this up!

The line in question used to make me uncomfortable, as did hearing Karin's
beautiful voice utter a curse word. (same song)  I used to wonder about that
lyric, until I stopped trying to clutch at straws and figure what prompted
Linford to write it. Truth is, only he (and Karin) know.  I'm sure he had
his reasons.  In any event, the fundamental difference betwen Linford and
Live's singer is that Linford is a christian who is merely commenting own
differing aspects of his own faith.  The Bible instructs christians to use
discernment and wisdom to judge their own kind.  (Other christians- it tells
us to let God judge those outside the church.)  It tells us to be stewards
and keepers to our own, which was all I was trying to do when I wrote about
Live, believe it or not.  Anyway, if Linford feels wisdom dictates that his
brethren in the Presbyterian sect are somehow distorting the holy faith and
sees fit to reference it in a lyric, it is an internal, family matter. The
singer of Live is NOT part of this family, the body of Christ, and really
has no business making judgements about us.  To my mind, he's like the nosy
next-door neighbor who drops by one day, sees your children's toys scattered
all over the floor, and them tells everyone in the neighborhood that your
house is a total mess.  Really.  The analogy is not as absurd as you may
think.

I've probably offended you more.  That is unfortunate.  I think you to be an
upstanding fellow.  I just gotta be me...a person who thinks listening to
music is an inheriantly spiritual experience, and can't enjoy music that
grieves my spirit as a consequence, no matter how good it may sound to my
ears.  (and Live does, at that.)

too conservative for my own good,

Matt