Chicago 12/8/2001 show review plus long rambling musings - pull up a chair get a cup of coffee, we'll be here a while

Title: Chicago 12/8/2001 show review plus long rambling musings - pull up a chair get a cup of coffee, we'll be here a while

Ok here is the two for one Schuba's show review.  If this end up sounding disjointed or rambling, along with the fact that it probably is just ramblings, I will be writing it over the course of several hours while working as well.  End of disclaimer

First every OTR show we attend is different and special in certain ways to us.  It may often involve the things that we are experiencing or going through in our lives, on stage slip ups that bring back the knowledge that however talented these people are, they are just like us, certain song rotations, times when they just let their personalities out in the open on stage, etc.  But Saturday night at Schuba's was probably the show that will stand out as the most memorable to us of all the shows we have ever attended.  For some of you that attended, Hi Jana, it was nice to meet you thanks for stopping by for a visit, it may not have seemed like that at all.  But it became up close and personal for us.  We were fortunate enough to be selected to work the merchandise table that night for both shows.

It was such a powerful enjoyment factor being able to give back to the band that has meant so much to us for over a decade even in this small way.  I mean really what else can we do for the band?  We have all the music, often give music as gifts to friends, drag friends along to get new "converts", have most of the shirts, etc etc.  So to be able to give back was a real blessing in that way plus we got up close and personal with Karin and Linford.  We have talked to them in the past at shows or a C-stone but it was on a totally different plane that night.  It was great to see the human side of them.  Linford kept asking if he could do anything for us, if we needed anything from the bar, etc etc.  I quipped as he was walking away that all I really needed was for them to play "If I'm drowning" tonight, but either he didn't hear or didn't reply.  Linford kept thanking us for the hard work and for sticking it out for two show.  I kept saying "No, thank you".  It also saved us going back outside and getting in line for the second show like we usually have to do.  If any one is familiar with Schuba's, it gets pretty cramped, warm and smoky, so it was nice to be behind the merch table with lots of room and a place to sit now and then (not during the show of course).

The band's van broke down on the way to Chicago, about 25 miles out.  They had to find a place to rent a truck to get the equipment to the show and then unload and reload and then unload again at Schubas.  In addition, there wasn't enough seating in the truck so Wade and Dale had to ride the 25 miles in the back of the van with the equipment.  Karin said they pounded Morse code on the wall in between the cab and the back of the truck to be sure the guys were OK.  Linford waited with the van and then took a cab to the show.  He talked about his long cab ride through the city with black female cabbie who had some really loud music on.  When he mentioned to her that he played a Hammond organ she said "Oh you gonna love this next song" and turned the volume up even more.  He stated he could hear things vibrating in the trunk from the music.  So the whole band was a little frayed and frazzled from the breakdown thing and Linford just getting to the show minutes before time to go on.  When he sat at his keys to play the opening song he noticed that the setup of his keyboards was reversed and mused "This should be interesting".

OK set lists:
7pm
If Nothing Else
When I Go
I Radio Heaven
Anything At All
Faithfully Dangerous
Darlin' Christmas is Coming
All I Ever Get For Christmas is Blue
Silent Night
Moth
Curse These Dreams
Holy Rain
Lucy
Miles
Helpless
encore - Jacks Valentine

10pm
If Nothing Else
I Radio Heaven
Anything At All
Faithfully Dangerous
Darlin' Christmas is Coming
All I Ever Get For Christmas is Blue
Silent Night
Moth
Curse These Dreams
Holy Rain
Lucy
Miles
Helpless
encore - Ohio (not played)
         Jacks Valentine
         Go Down Easy (not played)

OK where was I?

Karin came over and introduced herself before the show and I just rambled on and on and then Linford walked up and he gave us all the merch info.  I had totally forgot to ask her about her mother, so I went around the table and caught up with her and asked.  When I got back my wife told me I was overzealous and Karin probably thinks we are stalkers now.

Kim Taylor opened with 4 songs, all of which were pretty good but I wasn't able to pay close attention due to the demands at the merchandise table.  I will preface all of the review by saying that I couldn't really keep track all the time of when Kim Taylor came out and sang with  the band because those annoying people kept coming up wanting to ask questions or buy product, I mean REALLY.

Overall, the later show was a much rowdier group, more vocal and animated than the earlier crowd.  Over The Rhine was the same.  The drums were up an intensity level all of the second show, Jack was much more animated and got more improv time as well.  I think Karin was much more 'on' for the second show as well.  I thought her vocals lacked a little the first set, but I was pretty sure that the mix had some effect on that as well.  Plus the second set Karin was really wailing.

Kim Taylor added a lot to the songs she accompanied, but I still miss Terri.  There wasn't a lot of banter in either show.  Karin once mentioned that people seem to die around her during the holidays and then realized that it may have been slightly morbid and shouted but were gonna have a good holiday anyway.  After the next song, Karin asked Linford to talk so she didn't screw it up again.

Karin dedicated Silent night to us and thanked us for volunteering.  It was the second dedication she has made to us.  Years back, she dedicated Paul and Virginia to us.  I couldn't remember why but my wife thought it was one of the times we had brought her roses.  Karin said that Helpless, by Neil Young had been special to her for a long time.

I wasn't overly impressed with Jack's two songs "Curse These Demons" and "Holy Rain", but I was there to see OTR and with people around at the table didn't get to pay close attention.  we sold several copies of his CD that night though so he must have made an impression.

Karin also mentioned when introducing the band that this was a one shirt tour for Jack.  He apparently has worn the same shirt for the whole tour thus far.

I think I have rambled all I can for one day.

That is all,
That is more than enough

Michael & Dawn