blingbing

lowest-common-
denominator, so-called-free-market demographic pressure leads to the
victory of
the insipid, the shallow, and the flashy.<<<<

Hmmmm.  Sounds like public education.

On the other hand, I'm all for the free market, and, though I like,
enjoy, and encourage local things, I'm not so sure big, fat, big, money,
big product corporate capitalsim is bad.

The reason Wal Mart and Meier and Lowes took out all the smaller stores
doing their thing in my town is that Wal Mart and Meier and Lowes provide
products cheaper and more conveniently and often with no less quality.  A
"little local hardware store" is less convenient, less well-stocked, more
high-priced, and, generally speaking, only helps out people who are into
quaint novelties and have money to spend on them.  The poor people check
their wallets and go to Meier for the 5-for-1 sale.

This is where my point, my question, and my OtR content comes in.  The
little local places that have been driven out by the corporate and the
same (that strip of stores that exists everywhere in America) used to
give towns their personalities.  But I don't think we should cry into our
Starbucks Coffee TM about that.  The only way out is through, me old
pappy used to say.  (No he didn't.)  But seriously: short of destroying
global capitalism and the way of life it produces and which allows us all
the leisure to be on the OtR list, how do we foster sense of place.
I.e., how do we foster sense of place in little towns and big towns all
over America, even in the Wal Mart parking lot?  The general store is
out.  What's in?  One thing that's in, I think, is lcoal music scenes,
and locally colored musicians, like Over the Rhine, who just feel
Midwestern, don't they, in the very best way.

Etc, whatever.

G'day.

Fred