Re: here's a question- (otr content!)

good gracious, john.  i liked those quotes so much i've stolen them for this
week's signature.

>OtR definitely have that sense of mystery re: the Divine that was so
>celebrated by writers like Fredeick Beuchner, GK Chesterton, or even CS
>Lewis, but which is missing from most mdern expressions of Protestant
>faith. The utter *difference* between us humans and the Divine is
>something that I think comes out in OtR songs

that difference between the fraility of humanity and the holiness of the
Divine has been one of those ideas which repeatedly draws me back to my
faith.  the thing i so often miss in pop Christian culture (and i use this
/very/ loosely folks, please don't jump on me!) is the way our humanity is
often overlooked, or addressed as an evil to be avoided at all costs.  i'm
afraid i'll raise arguments by saying that, but maybe i can better explain
my point by saying that karin and linford do the opposite for me.  they seem
willing to really address our humanity- to acknowledge it and explore it-
and to try to understand it.  i agree with the reference to 'within without'
as a good example of this, and would also add 'all i need is everything.'
anyway, it's just an aspect of the group that is wholly refreshing for me,
and a major source of my devotion to their music.

:)

(by the way, i'm constantly afraid i'm not lucid at all.  but i know y'all
will notify me directly.)

>The way I see it, my faith is *mine*. At the end of the day, I'm
>responsible for how it makes me act, what it makes me say, etc. If being
>just or loving puts me at odds with an established religious group, well
>then, it does. I wouldn't be the first. :)

such tricky ground to tread on...

>Bjork's newest
>album, Vespertine, is thematic- all the songs are supposed to be
>"chamber music" for our homes, a celbration of what is daily and
>parituclar to us (whch puts a whole other spin on "worship music").

i didn't know she had said this- it explains a lot.  i'm going to have a lot
of music to catch up on this week...

(bjork?  elvis costello?  brodsky quartet?  over the rhine?  *flutter
flutter*)

:)

melanie

"Tell us, with what words of man may we address such a Being; we cannot
state our case because we are in the dark in the presence of an
unsearchable God." - Job 37:19 (TAB)

"Tao can be talked about, but not the Eternal Tao.
Names can be named. but not the Eternal Name."
-The Tao Teh Ching

(with thanks to john)