Lindford lures lurker back the list (and Dalton, OH)

Ok, so probably less than 1% of you folks know me (Hi, Melissa H. and Brian S.), but I've been a member of the OtR list off and on for a few years -- albeit only as a lurker.

I've returned to the list with great excitement for a couple of reasons:

First, Lindford's request.  As we all know, he has a way with words -- to put it lightly.  Words are powerful, and he has mastered that power as well as any person I know.  His recent update inspired me to give the list another try.  Maybe this time around I'll throw in my 2 cents occasionally... We'll see.

Second, when I read that OtR was playing a show this Saturday in the tiny town of Dalton, Ohio (pop. 1,605) my jaw dropped to the floor.  Dalton (pronounced "Dall-ton" NOT "Doll-ton") is a place I had never heard of until I met my college sweetheart -- and now-wife of almost 10 years -- Renee.  When I met her, I was a product of the middle-class, suburban McWorld.  But she captured my heart with her love and -- I'm not ashamed to say it -- her hometown.  In the beginning when we'd travel to her folks' house in Dalton, I would chuckle to myself about how "quaint" it was; how "by-gone" it was; how "naive" it was.

I learned over time how wrong I was. Dalton is just a good place to be, and be from.  It's what's good about America.  It's about family, and community, and honest, hard-working people.  And now, it's going to be the venue of one of the best bands in the world.

What in the world is Over the Rhine doing playing in Dalton, Ohio?! -- in my wife's high school auditorium, no less?!

It's where they should be.  Thanks, Lindford and Karin, for making a stop on that little dot on the map.  My wife and I will be making the trip tomorrow from Cincinnati to Dalton to enjoy some great music, family, and a great little town.

Oh, and if anyone else out there decides to make the trip to Dalton, be sure to stop at the Dalton Dairy-ette for some ice cream.  It's Americana at it's best.

Thanks for letting me share.  Ok, back to lurking mode...

Pax,

Chad