Re: the ever illusive (elusive?) don smith

Hot dang!  I made it into a subject line.  :-)

Lisl wrote:
> ooooooooohhhhhh, don.  don-the-scientist-don.  don the man of reason who was
> declared the winner in the wtc debates, of course...

Um... I didn't think there was a *winner*, per se.  I thought we came to a
mutual understanding, if respectful disagreement on some points.  I much prefer
that to winning, anyway.  Unless we can all win.  I don't like zero-sum games.

And that's don-the-quaker-scientist-don, thank you.  ;-) :-)

Dang, y'all'r makin' me blush.  Thtop it.

Yosie wrote:
> With ebi and sake!

I'm quite partial to sake, although I haven't drunk it very often,
but I don't know what ebi is.  Please do elaborate.

Liesel wrote:
> can i nominate kelvin for this category too??

I say aye!  The more rockers, the merrier.  Just make sure the cat's
tail doesn't stray under the rail.

Back to work... hey, if any of you are in the Ann Arbor area, I'm giving a
series of three public physics lectures on the 13th, 20th, and 27th of October
at 10:30 am.  The title of my talks will be "The Dynamic X-ray Sky: Black
Holes, Neutron Stars, and Really Big Explosions".  They're free, and I gather
something like 200-300 people of all ages show up (the University of Michigan
does these every fall).  There will be fun demonstrations (since I put "really
big explosions" in the title, I feel compelled to actually blow something up,
although it's hard to create a black hole in the lecture hall), and it's aimed
at a non-expert audience (my grandparents are coming :-)), so even the
math-phobic can enjoy it.  Next week's talk is "X-ray Vision", the one after
that is "How Stars Die", and then I close with "Why Black Holes Make Bad
Neighbors".  I think it's going to be a lot of fun.  Now I know many people
don't usually associate the word "fun" with "physics", but they're wrong.  :-P

See you around,
--
Don Smith                    Robotic Optical Transient Search Experiment
donaldas at umich_edu                          http://xte.mit.edu/~dasmith/

"I feel terrible sadness when I hear "Let's get back to 'normal'".
In other words, we have nothing to learn or change."  - Sylvia Aruffo