Re: From my Momma Sami to me, Rhonda Michele, to you

> > > This, the greatest nation, founded in the believe that "In God We
> > > Trust" . . .

Um, it was founded in no such thing.

   http://www.ustreas.gov/opc/opc0011.html

   The motto IN GOD WE TRUST was placed on United States coins largely
   because of the increased religious sentiment existing during the Civil
   War. . . .

   IN GOD WE TRUST was first used on paper money in 1957, when it appeared
   on the one-dollar silver certificate. The first paper currency bearing
   the motto entered circulation on October 1, 1957. . . .

That would seem to be long, long after the American Revolution, etc.

> > > May the forces of evil be broken by your power . . .

Hm, for some reason I am reminded of a documentary I saw last night called
_God Is My Co-Pilot_, in which a chaplain on an aircraft carrier tells
some pilots who are about to bomb Kosovo, "What are we here for, but to be
the strong right arm of God?"  (This film is part of a series of Dutch
documentaries based on the ten commandments; this one is based on the
third commandment, i.e. the one against misusing God's name.)

Don't get me wrong.  Terrorism is evil.  But I am very, very skeptical of
any claim to the effect that our armies represent God's might.