Why Sep 11?

My dad just sent me the following bit of info:

   On Sept. 11, 1922, a British mandate was proclaimed in Palestine,
   despite Arab protests. It lasted until 1948, when the United Nations
   authorized a partition of the territory and established the state of
   Israel.

   On Sept. 11, 1972, the Munich Summer Olympics (remembered as "the
   Olympics of Terror) ended. For 21 hours under live television cameras,
   hooded gunmen of the Palestinian "Black September" faction held Israeli
   athletes hostage, killing 11 of them during a botched getaway and
   airport firefight with German antiterrorism squads.

That last incident, BTW, was the subject of a *very* good documentary
called _One Day in September_.  The German antiterrorist squads were such
colossal bunglers, it would be funny if it weren't so awfully tragic.

And now, being the detail-obsessed nitpicker I am, I can't help thinking
they should have waited a year, for the 80th/30th anniversary of whichever
event this was supposed to commemorate, assuming there *is* a link.