Re: G.K. Chesterton

In a message dated 9/6/01 12:03:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Owner-Over-The-Rhine at actwin_com writes:

<<
 the dead theologians society and i are getting ready
 to read chesterton's "orthodoxy."  anyone read it?
 what do you think?

 - -j. marie

I am currently reading it because I am taking a seminar at college and the
whole seminar is on Chesterton and some of the other writers of his era. I
really like it, but sometimes Chesterton can get on these long meandering
tangents and you wonder where he is going with all this wonderful but
somewhat cloudy language, and then BAM! he hits you with a paragraph that is
so profound that it may send shivers down your spine. I am liking him more
and more. Someone mentioned that he doesn't use much "concrete" evidence to
support his arguments....well I'll have to see about that. I would venture to
say he supports his arguments just as well as any other great writer. I mean
he was well respected by Bernard Shaw, a literary genius (and a friend
despite the fact he disagreed with Chesterton on everything).

Chesterton might have had an influence on Rich Mullins, but I know he had a
tremendous impact on C.S. Lewis. I believe Lewis read "Orthodoxy" in an
infirmary after he had been injured in WWI, and was deeply stirred by
Chesterton. If I'm not mistaken it greatly influenced his own apologetic
masterpiece "Mere Christianity".

Probably more than you wanted to know......

Brittney

np: Macy Gray