Thanks, Captain Obvious!

On 8/29/01 5:48 PM, quoth the effervescent b_lachey at hotmail_com at
b_lachey at hotmail_com:

>http://actwin.com/OtR/MailArchiveJan97/msg00398.html

Cringe! I remember that debacle. Man, that went on for weeks.

Anyway, I can't believe no one's mentioned the most popular use of
Captain Obvious.

Years ago, comedian Richard Jenni did an HBO special in which he did a
whoe routine about the idiocy of some sportscasters. IN one example, one
particularly dense Guy (with a capital G, yes) remarked about something
which 50,000 people in a stadium had just seen, plus however many
thousands at home (i.e.: "And he's scored a touchdown/ run out of bounds/
ripped his leg off an flung it at the crowd." I don't remember). Guy A
turns to look at Guy B, pauses a moment, and says, "Thank YOU, Captain
Obvious. Johnny, let's go to the map."

This was back when I was still doing combat training for the Human Chess
Match at the Ren Faires in Florida, so I was surrounded by big manly men
with sharp, pointy swords, and they got a huge kick out of the whole
thing. It must have been about 1994 or 1995, so that may be when the
whole persona started.

But I could be wrong.