Re: the ring of truth (was This Week's Recommended Reading)

Sorry Kelvin, if you get this twice: my new email software refueses
to reply to the list address.
:(

>And just what are we reacting against?  It seems to me
>- from what I've heard/see/read of Bawer's books (I'll
>admit I haven't read it) - one could easily say he is
>reactionary.

Against two things: the theory of evolution (hence the emphasis on
reading the Bible as a scientific document) and against Henry
Fosdick's Social Gospel movement,which stressed the Gospel as a means
of healing society, rather than on individual salvation.

Yeah, it is, in one way, by the fact that he's reacting against what
he sees as a bad trend in the way Christians are perceived as being
made up of the most extreme examples. The fact that something is a
reaction doesn't invalidate. Bawer focuses more on the fact that
fundamentalism is of the 20th, not the 1st century. That is important
only because fundamentalists would claim to be practicing original
Christianity.

>I don't have a problem at all with tagging
>fundamentalist Christianity (at least as it played out
>in the 20th century) as reactionary.  I think that's
>pretty darned accurate.  In my memory, growing up
>fundy looked a lot like Steve Camp - always AGAINST
>something.  I just wonder why you equate fundys and
>evangelicals.

My experience with both leads me to think that the differences are
largely cosmetic. Fundies and Evangelicals both believe basically the
same things; their differences are important to them and no one else.
Evangelicalism (as it is today) grew out of people like Billy Graham
and others rejecting the Fundamentalist anti-intellectualism, and
trying to engage American culture in the marketplace of ideas. And
that does result in different behaviors. But at the root beliefs,
there's not much difference. Unless you have some other difference
you think is important you'd care to share, that is. :)

>Kelvinism is the only true religion!

"Your ideas intrigue me and I'd like to receive your newsletter."
(Homer to Bart)

John

--
"Those on their way are almost invisible

-Jelaluddin Rumi