re: definitions/etymology (hit DELETE if this bores you)

Kelvin asked:

>First of all, is it appropriate to use the word need
>in any sense other than that which is absolutely
>necessary.  For instance, is it correct usage to say
>"I need to get my car fixed" or "I need to make more
>money"?  Or can it only be used in the "I need oxygen"
>sense?
>
>Secondly, if a dictionary entry for the word uses both
>"requirement" and "want" in the same definition (i.e.
>"a condition or situation in which something is
>required or wanted") does the fact that "wanted" and
>"required" both fall under definition 1. mean they are
>being used synonomously, or are they both listed
>because both meanings are equal in importance.

Answering the 2nd question first should answer the 1st Q.
It doesn't mean they're synonyms.  It means OR.  Like,
the logical OR.  my dictionary defines OR as:

1. an alternative, only usually before the last term of a
    series

So the answers to your two questions are:

1. Yes, it's appropriate.
2. Both meanings are primary meanings to "need", and differ.

I need to find a list that talks about Over the Rhine!  :)

Bruce