Re: homophobia (not really limited to that)

Joe,

Your post made me think of a very real and concrete answer to Steve's
question about what churches can do to make lgbs feel accepted.

It's a simple thing and and something I've already cried out for in this
discussion.

Listen to us.

I'm sure it's not your intent, but when I read your post these are the
things I hear:

automatic association of homosexuality (or homosexual acts) with sin.
There is no sense that  homosexual act can be part of a stable, loving
relationship.  lgbs are automatically assumed to be the stereotypical
'loose-moraled'  libertarians who will shag anything that moves as long as
it's their own sex.  They are purely selfish in their desires and in
fulfilling them.  If I were to say something similar about straight people I
would be hounded off the list in a second.

Treat people as individuals with their own lives, their own stories to tell,
stories which are worth hearing and may have something to teach us all.

That, Steve, and Joe, would be an enormous gift you could give us, which
would be of great value to the entire body of Christ.

'Wherever Jesus went there was a revolution;
wherever I go people serve tea"
                           (Anthony de Mello)