Parochial schools

In a message dated 6/25/2001 9:02:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
mmdonegan at yahoo_com writes:

Just as a side note... just like public schools there
are all sorts of private schools... not all
private/parochial schools are for rich kids.  My
little brother (ok, so he's taller than me, but he's
always be my little brother) just finished up a year
teaching at a Catholic HS in Milwaukee, and this year
he'll be at an all-boys Catholic HS on the south side
of Chicago.  Believe me, the kids at those schools are
*not* rich.

Michelle

I agree, Michelle.  I attended a Catholic all boys high school in the suburbs
of Chicago.  There were only a handful of students that came from "rich"
families.  Nearly all of the students originated from middle class families
that STRUGGLED to afford for their kids to attend there, including mine.
Most came from school systems whose public high school was overrun by gang
warfare and opted to attend private (mostly catholic) high schools in the
area.  It's probably for this reason that Chicagoland's parochial school
system is fluorishing since the majority of the public schools are struggling
to teach enough for the students to pass the required testing to move on.
Chicago has the largest parochial school system in the country.  Here it is
second nature for a family to pass up the public education and send them to a
Catholic school, barring any religious affiliation.  This is primarily based
on quality of education and class size; teacher to student ratio.  And most
of all, safety!

Mike