revisionism

good morning :)

don said:

> I wish people would stop throwing around the term
> "revisionist history".  First
> of all, *all* history is, by definition, revising
> the story in the light of new
> techniques or new data, so the term is redundent.

very true...but it's the term most of us are familiar
with for a certain contemporary movement within the
recovery of the "narrative."

>  Since all history is
> revisionist, it cannot be argued against, and takes
> the discussion out of the
> (potentially) rational plane of correct/incorrect
> into an emotional realm that
> precludes discussion.

yeah, but even that potentially rational plane is set
within an authoritative tradition.  what makes its
plausibility structures any less biased?

happy thrursday,
j. marie