Re: muses

 I'll
 >reccomend one of my more well known top muses:

 >Frederick Buechner

 >I'm loving his devotional, "Listen to your Life".  It really speaks to me.

Yea, that has some great bits in it.  I gave a copy of it to my sister in law
for Christmas in an effort to wean her off of those dratted *soup for the...*
books and into  reading something a bit more substantial but apparently it
didn't work. She got a Soup book at the same time and has gobbled that up
leaving Buechner to just gobble up dust.  If you haven't' read them I'd
highly recommend in his non-fic *the hungering dark* and *the alphabet of
grace* If you're into Terry Taylor you'll also get the pleasant suprise of
seeing where he came up with a few tune idea's in the latter.

 >a few other possibles for the wall -
 >Sam Phillips/T-bone together, Are they ever together outside of "Martinis
 >and Bikinis"?  (Only Sam I own, cause the other material sounded to
 >"keyboardy".)

He does produce all her discs and usually plays a bit on each.  Don't think
he played on Omnipop but IIRC he does, at least a bit, on all the others.
You can really hear his guitar work on The Turning.  But, being married and
such a groovy looking couple it'd be nice to have them together.  Check out
Cruel Inventions!  Very much not keyboard driven, mostly guitar driven by
Sam, T-bone, Marc Ribot and Elvis Costello.  Actually not a lot of her stuff
is keyboardy IIRC, you must've heard a few exceptions.

Mark Heard (who cares if noone
 >knows him, he looks cool and would incite conversation)

 >Sadly, all I have is the collection "High Noon". :-(

Well, that's a pretty good start.  I'd recommend getting his last three from
which the tunes on that one were culled: Dry Bones Dance, Second Hand, and
Satellite Sky.  ___Some of the best songwriting that's ever been done IMO.

 ... Harry Potter -
 >gotta have a fictional character

> Really?  Why?  Kevin, aren't you cheezed-off that this character is a
 rip-off of Neil Gaiman's creation Timothy Hunter, star of "The Books of
 Magic"?

Hmm, didn't know that.  I'm a Gaiman fan myself but that's one of the few
works of his that I haven't read...yet.  A hidden world parallel to the real
one, complete with hidden doorways through walls, secret places under London,
etc., kinda did have a Neverwhere feel to me now ya mention it. I'm sure
there are many precedants to Mr. Gaiman as for that idea though -- placing
the supra in the midst of the natural rather than in a completly seperate
other world -- though it hasn't been rehashed near as much. Williams did it,
Delint, J Carroll, O'neils Land Under England, are a couple that spring to
mind.  Ah well, there is a fine line between rip-off and inspiration.
Everyone gets their idea's from somewhere.  Can't imagine a better place to
mine from than Gaimanland.  Depends on how much she ripped off I'd say.  She
did spin it into a very nice 1500 plus page story and counting....  Looks
like I'll have to finally get around to reading Books of Magic now.  Been
wanting to anyway.

>>The esoteric nature of the original creation vs. his prose
 counterpart serves up more proof of how far comics have to go to become
 accepted as literature...  (That and the fact that, in winning the World
 Fantasy Award for "Sandman," Gaiman's masterwork forced the awards committee
 to amend the rules to prevent such an "embarrassment" from ever occurring
 again.)

Yea, either that or comic writers are just finally starting to mine some of
the same treasure ground that novelists have been for years so we're starting
to see them overlap more.  'Til around what, 15 years ago?,  comics were
mostly kinda like short graphic adaptions of real novels or short stories
when they went beyond straight superhero fare weren't they?  That coupled
with fact that there currently are a few comic writers out there of the
caliber of Gaiman so we're seeing some nice in depth storytelling going on.
I knew of the WFA thing, doesn't it bite!  Now that shows there is still a
lot of prejudice to comics as a true storyteller art form out there.

 Pee-Wee Herman - if you
 >dare! --lol.---------------

 >If you were to dare, I'd venture to say that you don't know jack!

LOL, I gotta admit my inclusion of him was more a joke than anything.  Just
mixing him into such grand company seemed so outrageous.  Still, he did take
the idea of a kiddie show to a whole other level and deserves some credit for
doing so. If others would have carried on where he left off.......I don't
really know where we'd be...;-)

 peace,
kevin

Against the ruin of the world, there is only one defence--the creative act.
--Kenneth Rexroth