sf59 vs. junkies

Hi guys and dolls,

     Well, my Pgh review should have supplied all you anit-Christs with
plenny 'o OtR related discussion fodder, but I guess not.  Makes me
wonder...
     Anywhoo, did ya'all get the new Starflyer yet?  I did, and I don't know
if I argee with Jason when he calls it the best he's done.  For one thing,
recording and mixing it in mono made it sound a bit flat at first.  Yet it
doesn't really due to the nature of digital recording.  So, was this done to
make it sound more like the sixties surf rock that informs much of the
sound?  If so, it fails.  The Beach Boys didn't have 24 track ADAT systems.
     In terms of songwriting, it is quite good.  The title track manages to
remind me of both the Beach Boys AND the Beatles in the space of a single
breath.  Very creative.
     When I bought it today (yesterday technically), my friend also obtained
the Cowboy Junkies latest.  Half-way through CDs I asked him if we could
swap!  (A great deal for him as mine was $2 more.)  Mr. Timmons is clearly
the superlative guitarist, and the subtle but meaningful lyrics sure do beat
our Mr. Martin's.  Plus, unlike JM, the Junkies know how to rock in their
old age, and Karin and Margo mesh like peanut butter and jelly.  In fact,
this may be the greatest union since that fine sandwich was conceived, at
least in terms of vocalists.  Tasty.
     "Open" rules, and "Leave Here A Stranger" does too, altough it takes
longer to grow on you.  Then again, don't the best CDs often have that
quality?

The open stranger,

Matt- no relation to the lone ranger