RE: god is dead and other such nonsense

On Tue, 15 May 2001, David Armstrong wrote:

> i saw a FAB t-shirt one time that said:
>
> "god is dead" - nietzsche
> "nietzsche is dead" - god
>
> gotta' love that one. :o)

Nah.  I prefer three from theoutcast.com.  They would be pretty much the
only 'Christian' shirts that I'd wear - the god/Nietzsche thing I've just
seen too many times (although I like the absurdist bent to it.  That would
be:  "God is Dead." -N "Nietzsche is dead." -G "Nietzsche is God." - The
Dead)  I used to wear those types of t-shirts that used to scream
"HEY!  I'M A CHRISTIAN!" an awful lot, and frankly I found that there was
nothing that turned my friends off than a big ol' t-shirt with something
tritely Christian printed on it.

The three that I would consider would be the:

God is not an American.
[small picture of 50s American housewife]

Stop the fish wars
[small picture of an icthus fish and darwin fish kissing]

Lord Jesus, your sheep have sharp teeth.
[small picture of a vampire lamb]

I figure, if you're going to wear your faith as a fashion statement, at
least have the wherewithal to find something that describes it better than
"I Love Jesus Better Than Ice Cream".

But then, I'm like that.  I like my Tenacious D with my Over the Rhine
with my Frank Zappa with my Madison Greene with my Pet Shop Boys with my
Ramsie Shick, my _Have a Nice Day_ with _The Complete Works of Francis
Shakespeare_ with my Dalit poetry with my Mike Hertenstein.

-Drew J