Re: beatles

> seriously, i listened to the "1" disc and liked it, so i wanted to pick
> up a couple of their cd's. but, i have no idea which ones to start with.
> i don't think i would like their early peppy stuff, so help me out.

I'm one of those who thinks the Beatles were very good at just about every
phase of their career.  I like the peppy stuff and the more out-there
stuff that came towards the end of their career, but I'd have to say my
favorite albums may be _Rubber Soul_ and _Revolver_, since those catch the
band at the mid-point in their transition from Just Another Pop Band
(Albeit One Of The Most Popular Pop Bands Out There) to One Of The Most
Creative Bands You Will Ever Hear.  The band ended things on a grand note,
though, with _Abbey Road_, the last studio album they recorded.  (_Let It
Be_ came out slightly later, but was recorded earlier.  Long story.)

Some of their best songs (e.g. 'She Loves You', 'Paperback Writer', 'Lady
Madonna', 'Revolution', etc.) are not available on their albums, per se,
and can only be had by picking up the two _Past Masters_ discs, which
collect the singles and B-sides (and the Beatles' own German-language
covers of two of their own songs!) that are not available on any of the
other CDs that were released up until the late 1980s.  In the 1990s, of
course, there were the three _Anthology_ discs and _Live at the BBC_,
which added a whole bunch more tracks to the official repertoire.

Interestingly enough, all the songs the Beatles released on CD up to the
late 1980s add up to about 10 hours of music, which means you can fit them
all on a single CD-R in the mp3 format at 128kbps, with room for another
hour of music from the _BBC_ and _Anthology_ discs.  So I never listen to
the original albums any more; it's a lot more fun to pop in the CD-R,
switch the player to "shuffle", and listen to the songs in random order.

Now I'm just wondering if I should pick up _1_, or the remastered _Yellow
Submarine_ (or the "white album", if it's still available).  I believe
they don't have any new songs on them, but I am told they sound better.