Re: Styuka show

Faith said:

>I was so excited to go down to the Xavier show, esp. as I can't go to the
>Canal Street show cuz I am in a wedding the next day. But the Styuka show
>was just IMHO everything OTR is all about... It was outside, the sun just
>setting, with a cool night breeze and the stars coming out... My friend
and
>I had driven down from Columbus, and we were just tickled to get a front
>row seat. We spread our blanket out right in front of the left bank of
>speakers (my left ear is still a little tingly...).

Hi Faith!  You were right behind us : )  Great seats - and the stage lights
kept my feet warm!  And I believe my ears have finally recovered!

>I won't repeat the set list, although I have to say, what was UP with
these Styuka people >who don't give OTR encores, esp. after Goodbye?
Craziness. I mean hey, they let
>that improv troupe go on forever...

Exactly.  I was looking forward to hearing Give Me Strength with a hint of
If I'm Drowning.  But I can't complain!

I just happened to be in Cinci for the weekend (boyfriend met hte parents
for the first time!), so a free Over the Rhine show was quite the
unexpected bonus!

It's always great to see Over the Rhine in front of a hometown crowd.  I've
seen them 4 times now over the past month (is that excessive?!?), and this
show did not disappoint! Other notes, during Birds, Karin changed
"chocolate lab" to "weimaraner", she told the story of meeting her sister
prior to Anyway, and I believe her green t-shirt said "Property of the
Indians".

>Anyway. The show was bliss. Then there was this perfect little girl in
Mary
>Janes and a jean jacket... couldn't have been more than two years old...
>sitting on her mother's lap and staring rapt at Karin, munching an
apple...
>in the Imaginary Apple Orchard, no less... Then she would get up and dance
>and twirl and at one point she came and sat right down in my lap, friendly
>as could be, and took complete possession of the setlist I was writing
>down. She made my night... (out of the mouth of them babies...)

She made our night as well!  She was taking pictures of the band, and the
crowd, with her imaginary chocolate chip cookie camera.  I got a kiss on
the nose : )  Just the most adorable child imaginable!  The girl's name was
Emma Rose (I believe).  Her mom, Julia, is a lurker on the list, so if
you're reading this Julia, you should post!   It's funny, I spoke with a
friend in Denver the next day.  On Sat., his wife gave birth to a baby girl
"Emma Rose".   Strange coincidence....

>And Jack was cooler than Elvis last night.

Jack was quite the King of Porno Guitar!

>There was something about the night air that made Karin's voice sound a
>little different... sharper, less sultry, perhaps. But it was a good sound
>(always is), the clean sound of music being released out into the night.
>And my favorite song, If Nothing Else,just keeps getting favoriter, with
>that edge of longing. It made me dance on my blanket.

Again, the vibe was great.  People dancing in the wings, kids running
about, fans in the crowd singing along, a cool late spring breeze in the
air.  It kind of reminded me of their concert at the Cinci zoo many years
ago.   Amazing.

Dawn

NP:  Elliott Smith - XO