Re: silly rabbit... chum is for kids

Dan,
   I'm with you all the way.  I would venture that the movies,
television, commercials, etc. are no longer worried about
offending people, because they don't believe that what they
do is offensive.  I just finished a commercial for a film class
I'm taking.  I originally talked the group I was working with out
of putting in something obscene because I was definitely against
it, and if they did put it in I was going to switch groups.  The
director for this project agreed to it, but then at the last second
changed her mind, when it was too late for me too switch groups.
Thus, take the grade for something I don't agree with, or accept
the zero.  Most of today's culture is accepting of the crude.
   Part of humor is obviously exaggeration, but a part of life is not
accepting exaggerations that push the envelope too far.  There
is no beauty in the cracks and crevices, only filth fills them.  I
would say that there is alienation towards the 45+ crowd, and
thank goodness that they have not assimilated to a vulgar culture,
but pity be towards those younger who laugh at such garbage.  It's
no longer a matter of moral decay, we're at a point of complete
rot amidst the media and society, but then again the blind can
will only protest there is not problem with the color of the grass.
Morals have taken a step out the door, and the people that do
have morals are doing a poor job within the field, only bring
shame upon the name they bare.
   Hmm . . . yeah, very odd that studios would continue to fund
religion bashing films when they don't make any money, but isn't
that what Nietzsche said, "God is dead."  That really sums up the
common belief today, and so perhaps it is not viewed as an off the
wall perception, but rather the cultural norm.  If only someone could
put themselves on the line and make a good film with some morals.
There is a group of Christians in New York city running a script writing
school called Act One.  Out of that school came a group of writers
that put together some crazy television series to exemplify good
families and their morals.  It's about a husband and wife who have
three kids, and the husband runs his own television show about
working with tools.  I think it's called something like "Home
Improvement."
It did rather well, I liked it.  Of course, those writers only stayed on
the
project for two years before other writers moved in, and since then the
entire series has gone down hill.  Oh well, at least we win out in the
end.
  - Tom

np: Elliot Smith - Random Mix
"While working on this movie on paranoia, I started to realize that the
filmmaking process is a paranoid experience. Because they always
tell you in filmmaking that every single scene should relate to your main

character, relate to your theme. And that's exactly what paranoid
schizophrenics think their world is. That the entire world relates to
them.
So filmmaking is a paranoid experience." -Darren Aronofsky "Pi"