OtR in Hollywood

November, 1997.

That was the last time Over the Rhine had ventured into Southern California
as headliners.  Yeah, they've come through a couple times since then as part
of the Cowboy Junkies' entourage, but that's just not the same.

Anyway, here's just a few thoughts about the show...

I've never seen a show at the Knitting Factory, and therefore don't know what
it's like, but would've preferred to see a show there vs. the American Legion
Hall.  The hall just reminded me too much of my old high school gym and the
seating was ridiculous.  And why did they not have the house lights up before
the show and during the intermission?

I managed to spy listie Melanie wandering around in her white trench coat
just before the show and got to meet her briefly.  Unfortunately, we only got
to talk for a moment or two.

And Chris Emery's old listie theory continues to hold true...

Rose Polenzani was solid as the opener.  Definitely better than yet another
night of Niki Buehrig (not that Niki's bad, I just grew a little weary of not
seeing anyone else open for OtR).

BTW, Steve, I believe I was in your vicinity during Rose's set.  I was with
one of my friends on the right hand side in the last row.  We were the two
closest to the stage.  Although I liked having a chair rather than a chunk of
hardwood floor, I moved down in front of the stage during the intermission.

As far as OtR themselves go, they were definitely a different band than how
I've seen them before.  Keep in mind that I've only seen them in the post-Ric
era, but this was easily the loudest Over the Rhine show I've seen.  I've
grown so accustomed to the lilting GDBD sound that although I've listened to
FfR quite a bit, it was still a bit of a shock to hear them approximate a
rock band.  ;)

I was hoping to hear both "When I Go" and "Anything At All", but to no avail.
 With the new sound, "Orphan Girl" would be kinda fun, but that might be
asking a bit much...  The highlight of the show, IMO, was the new rendition
of "Birds".  The bass-dominated intro was quite fun and, to an extent,
sounded a bit like Joy Division to me.  Then again, I'm hardly a Joy Division
expert and am willing to be corrected by someone more knowledgeable.

After the show, I grabbed Jack's setlist.  I believe I saw Melanie climbing
up on stage in pursuit of a setlist as well.  I miss the old handwritten
lists of yore.  They had much more character.  As did the old merch table.
The candles, incense, and whatnot need to make a return.  As things stand
now, it's just another merchandise table.

Speaking of the merch table, I'd hoped to grab a copy of Goody's CD after the
show, but either they sold out or he took them all with him when he left for
the airport.  That was disappointing...

I'm sure I've missed all sorts of stuff, but this'll have to do for now.

Bye for now...

Steve
oncleboo at aol_com

"Talking nonsense is man's only privilege that distinguishes him from all
other organisms." -- Fyodor Dostoyevsky