and the man wore leather

first off-  steve- sorry that we didn't have more of a chance to talk.  i
will email you soon, i promise!

the LA concert- everyone seems to be giving an account of each concert, so i
guess i'll write some about LA- but don't expect anything but raving reviews
from me.  i've haven't caught our friends live in two or three years, and
this was the first time for me to see them doing their very own show.  it
was nothing short of bliss for this girl.

:)

the crowd however- well, the venue got moved from the knitting factory, a
smallish place below the chinese theatre (as i hear), to the american legion
hall.  this was apparantly due to the amount of tickets sold being more than
expected.  but the legion hall- though it was nice -was just a little too
big.  as linford said, there was 'room to grow.'  and most of the crowd just
sat in the comfy seats that were far, far away from stage.  my friend and i
came in near the middle of the group and still were able to walk right up to
the stage and sit down on the floor.  i couldn't have asked for better
seats!  right at karin and linford's feet.

but the crowd was sort of quiet- everyone just sat through the whole thing,
right up until the encores began.  it was sort of sad, but maybe folks were
just basking in euphoria.

of course LA would be the quiet crowd!  ;p

anyway- rose and goody (goodie?) came out, and yes they were amazing, and
yes goodie blew on his guitar strings, ysoie, and yes i wanted more more
more.  but they seemed to have a short set so they could run catch their
respective flights.  rose missed hers- we saw her after the concert sitting
down, looking exhausted, relieved she missed her flight so she could have a
day off.  we told her that her voice was beautiful, and she looked up
hopefully and said 'really?'  she was so sweet.  and she even seemed a
little nervous on stage, though there is absolutely no need for that!

i could have shot the light board runner, though...

apparantly, though, the band's tour bus broke down at three am friday night
driving down from san francisco- so they had had no sleep.  i'm guessing
this is why the set seemed short, which is my only complaint (other than a
sleepy audience) about the concert.  but they could have played all night
long, if it were up to me.  maybe anything seems short.

i have to mention- between rose and otr they piped in the red house
painters.  it was perfect!  what a lovely, lovely band.

finally, then, the our band appeared.  karin came out with gorgeous
movie-star long layered hair, tight dark pants and a pale blue knit top with
blue webby beaded cap sleeves.  and linford, well, he came out looking just
like the back of the ffr cd.  ;)  leather, dark hair, glasses- the whole
bit.  i sort of giggled, remember the listee from indiana(?) who said she
would leave if linford was wearing leather.  well, i wasn't about to go
anywhere!  he did ditch the jacket after two or three songs, and then he was
wearing red-brown i-just-forgot-how-to-spell-cuorduroy? pants and a grey
sweater.  but come on- let the poor guy have a cool jacket!  maybe it was
bought at a thrift store...

so, yeah, the show was amazing.  karin hangs on that microphone like it's
her last chance for air- and she poured everything she had into every song.
for the most part she was quiet between numbers, but every once in a while,
after a song that was particularly amazing, she'd cast a side-long look at
linford as she took a drink, and then just lose it in a big beautiful
yeah-that-was-it smile.

i took a lot of pictures- i'll find out tomorrow if they came out.  swiped
karin's playlist afterwards, too.  it's typed, a little out of order, and
missing a number or two.  but here it is:

world
if nothing
all i need
anyway
radio heaven
lil blue
birds
moth
poughkeepsie
faithfully
fever
strength (this was the last encore)
-----------
body
ladder daize (this closed the first set)

after the show, linford came back in the room, and i got to shake his hand
and have him sign my old northern spy, and a twhf for my brother.  he was
lovely and so very nice.  after that, i stepped aside to regroup, and
overheard the girl who had been waiting behind me start to harrass the poor
man.  i cringed- afraid i sounded like a derranged fan, myself.  maybe
there's no way to avoid that.

i bought a t-shirt and stole a promo poster from the merchandise table after
talking to the nice boy kurt running the table.  when he found out i was on
the listserve he laughed at me and called me a geek.  :(  sorry guys, guess
we're all geeks.  but he grinned and said it was an okay kind of geek.  ;p

then we went downstairs and caught the band, again, talking to people in the
hall.  i met karin, she autographed my brother's cd, was very sweet and
nice...  and that was it.

the ffr cd just isn't enough anymore.  i want to sit at their feet like
that, karin belting out every song...  it was my friend's first otr concert,
and i asked her if it was what she expected.  she said it was more
wonderful, and that karin was more beautiful, than she had imagined.

what more is there to say?

melanie