April 4: Portland OR, Berbati's Pan *Review*

April 4: Portland OR, Berbati's Pan, 231 SW Ankeny, 503.248-4579
opener Rose Polenzani, doors 9:00pm, show 10:00pm, age 21+ show

I got there at 8:00 and hung out for a bit. I didn't really know what to
expect, I'd never been to Berbati's before. Like many clubs in Portland,
Berbati's suffers from the post grunge-era issues, in where the club is
basically open floor in front of a stage, with plenty of moshing room and
bouncers. Bouncers?!? at an OtR show? Were they expecting body surfing
during "Poughkeepsie"? Anyway, Rose Polenzani (it's Italian, she says)
opened, with a pretty relaxed set. I dig some of her tunes, but what made it
especially cool, was Dave "Goodie" Goodrich's playing. The guy knows how to
texture well. His use of reverb, delay, slide and e-bow are impressive. He
did the coolest thing: at the end of the first song, he brought the guitar
up to his face and blew across the pickups to create this breathy harmonic
frill to end the song. Awesome. For those interested, he has a solo CD that
he's selling while on tour with Rose, a CD of improvisational guitar. If
it's anything like this, i want. yum.

Rose finished out, and then OtR was up.

Linford to the left, in his little piano/organ/rhodes/amplifier cubby hole.
Jack to the right, gum at ready, sunglasses, his effects layout directly in
front of me, and his Vox AC-30 amp nearby.
Chris to the back left, bald, glasses, at the ready.
Dale, to the back right, in his little drum castle. He had been out earlier
warming up.
and lastly, Karin her hair down and all swoopy like. black tank topish
thing, blue jeans that hit the floor with rivets down the sides, and a belt
and buckle as big and wide as the Ohio river.

Here is the setlist (i snarfed from Jack)

ladder daze (actual spelling)

	Something wrong with Jack's tremolo pedal. Linford starts the song out,
piano only, they start building the song, as
	Jack, clearly annoyed, starts de-patching the trem. He has a backup, his
tech brings it, and patches in. good times.

world can wait

	there is so much more power to this song when you hear it live. the studio
version is great, but Dale really drives
	this one.

if nothing else
	we're just getting warmed up. No slide on this one, Jack rips a few good
solos on this one.

all i need is
	a classic.

anything
	"this one is unrecorded. we're not sure what it's about. Karin wrote it,
maybe she'll tell you later" -Linford.
	Those of you in the know, can get the mp3 from the website.

fairpoint
	very cool, not as carnival-ey sounding as the album version.

birds
	Hadn't heard this one before, i quite like.

poughkeepsie
	wow. and i though the album version was amazing.

anyway
	"my sister lives here on the west coast. A few years ago, my father died
and at his funeral, i met my half sister.
	We hit it off right away, and became very close. I wrote this song for
her." -Karin.  Jillian, i though of you during
	this song.

faithfully
	the crowd really likes this one. "Jack says that there are usually pretty
girls dancing in front of him.
	There are pretty girls there, but none of them are dancing. Give him a
dance, but don't tell his
	wife i said that." - Karin

fever
	hoo boy, talk about a steamy song. the dynamics of this one was awesome,
random little solos here and there, a
	smashing organ solo by Linford, and a rather nice one by Jack. You can't
really read this one, you were never sure
	when it was going to end. Karin was playing pitcher to Linford and Jack,
nodding her head or shaking no, calling the
	throws. homerun!

and can it be
	One of the engineers of the first album was from Portland, so they played
this song from the first CD.

1st encore

body
	groovy. This one got the crowds dancing. Jack doing the weird slide thing,
Dale in the back doing DJ sounds with his
	drum machine.

bothered
	This was VERY different from the hidden track version. Lots of dynamic, i
like alot.

2nd encore (wasn't on list)

sleep baby jane
	This was a great finisher. lots of power on this one, especially during the
bride section, Karin lets go.

I was pretty amazed, this was my first show, and you never know what to
expect from a live show. I was very impressed.

I got to talk to Linford a bit after the show, told him i was a listeee so
he could look me up. Told him that i recorded a song for the tribute CD and
hoped that he liked it. He's such a nice guy. :-)

I was going to try for the show in Eugene, but alas, it's sold out. :-(
That's ok, my music experience for this year has been fulfilled, if nothing
else.
I saw Drew Grow from Five O'Clock People at the show, i hope that show with
them and OtR pans out for this fall.

I'm inspired, who wants to start a band?  :-)

Chris

http://www.fumblefactory.com
chris at fumblefactory_com
AIM:FumbleFactory