Re: suggestions, please...

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Don Smith wrote:

> Rhys wrote:
>
> > Cryptonomicon - William Gibson
>
> Neil Stephenson wrote this book.  Gibson, along with Sterling, founded
> the Cyberpunk movement; _Neuromancer_ is the definitive text.  He also
> wrote a

oops., yea - i meant Neuromancer and by william gibson and just that
cryptonomicon reminds me a lot of him (gibson)

> despairing man who calucaltes how to sink all the pool balls on the
> break, using the people in the hall as an abacus to figure out all the
> gravitational and quantum effects.  Wild stuff.

(: sounds cool

> Have you read _Pilgrim at Tinker Creek_ by Annie Dillard?  Linford
> tipped me off to that book, and it's a real eye-opener.  If you've
> ever stared in wonder at the teeming life in a tidal pool, you'll love
> this book.  If you haven't, this book will show you why you should.
> Full of spiritual wonder at the natural world.

yea, i love it - i liked the wild thought-streams about quantum physics
and moonlight and ripples in the water... i just like her writings.

> Williams (anything by Williams, really), _Foucault's Pendulum_ by Eco,
> the

i absolutely loved Foucalt's penduluum... (:  Ender's series - yea.

> _Otherland_ series, although I'm not sure it's as good as Stephenson.
> Certainly Stephenson packs his ideas in more densely.  :-)

as in the Illearth series?

rhys

--
If you've done six impossible things before breakfast, why not round it off
with dinner at Milliway's, the restaurant at the end of the universe.